Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Difference


I have often been asked; what is the difference between training in the martial arts today, compared to that of thirty-five years ago? It’s an interesting question and one that I hope to briefly answer in the following post.

It is my opinion that martial art training today now serves an entirely different purpose to what it did when I first started. Today, I believe that there’s a lot more emphasis placed on ‘personal development’ as well as health and fitness, rather than just gathering knowledge on learning how to fight.

This doesn't mean to say that over the years martial art training has become less effective; we are still using the very same techniques as when I first started. The main difference today is the overall attitude toward our practice, which I believe is not so extreme or intense – As one Master explained to me  – “we are not preparing people for battle anymore.”

Personally, I think that learning how to defend oneself is still a vital part of our practice, however thankfully attitudes within our society have considerably changed over the last three-decades. Although hostility and violence in Britain still exist on many different levels, I generally think that we now live in a much more liberal and tolerant society than we did thirty-years ago.

Another difference today is our actual teaching methods. What I’ve really noticed in the past few years, especially within my own particular martial art system of Kuk Sool Won, is that the level of instruction has improved enormously. These days many martial art practitioners seem to have a deeper understanding of their art form and there is now regular access and detailed tuition from high-ranking Senior Master's, something, which was almost unheard of during my early years of training.

So what else has changed? Today lessons are much more shorter, lasting approximately one-hour, as opposed to the two-hour lessons, which we used to have. I think this is mainly down to today’s hectic lifestyle. Shorter classes do make it handy for people to attend more regularly , with many people now having to work some very strange hours on a variety of different shift patterns.

One other noticeable fact; today there are now considerably more female practitioners. Back in the early eighties, practicing martial arts was very much a macho-male orientated activity. When I first started there were no women that trained. Eventually as the years passed more and more ladies  became interested and actively involved.

In the early days of my training, everything was much more forceful and intense. Any smiling or displaying of emotion was often considered a sign of weakness. Our training was mentally as well as physically demanding. The structure of our practice wasn’t really designed for the feint-hearted; actually, come to think of it, it was more like being enrolled into the Armed Forces.

On many occasions I recall my instructor walking around the class and physically testing the students in a variety of different ways. I eventually came to the conclusion, he wasn’t really a malicious person; it was just his way of toughening us up. Unfortunately this type of training didn’t always go down well with everyone and some promising young martial artists sooner or later fell by the wayside. We nicknamed this process the act of "culling" students.

In a funny sort of way, I really enjoyed this regimental type of training. It always seemed to bring out the best in me and it also reminded me why I started martial arts in the first place – mainly to learn how to stand up for myself. Today, many health & safety, as well as new safeguarding regulations do make an instructor think twice, before acting irrationally and irresponsibly.

Many of the ‘older’ practitioners like myself, still talk about this type of training, which is often referred to as 'old-school', with the military style drills and the Sergeant Major type of approach. Our mantra back then was, "No Pain No Gain"… it was this type of mentality that got us through some really tough sessions and made us who we are today.


(The above photo, which I've included is of myself during a belt promotion ceremony in 1984 - aged 24)





No comments:

Post a Comment