Monday 28 July 2014

Massive Change


As you're probably aware, if you've read some of my previous posts, much of my later teenage years were spent in the pub. My life was often directed by circumstance, as well as some poor choices on my behalf and I often found comfort and solace in drink.

I now recognise that if I hadn't discovered the martial arts and the positive influence that it brings, who knows where I might have ended up. Today I'm more than aware of the hard-hitting facts of what over excessive alcohol consumption can do. 

Personally, I was absolutely devastated when one of my very best friends whom I initially started my under-age drinking with in our local pub, actually died of alcohol poisoning at a relatively young age. Although I'm still deeply saddened by his sudden death, I am also acutely aware that it could have easily have happened to me.

I believe there are times during most people's lives when specific change has to occur.  Usually it comes about when an certain individual goes through considerable amounts of pain or displeasure. Transformation often happens when they can no longer tolerate the physical or emotional discomfort any longer and there's no other alternative but to alter their ways.

In October 1980, I had most definitely reached that point. I was literally 'sick' and 'tired' of the same old drinking habits, combined with all the fun and games, which that kind of environment brings. My health was beginning to suffer badly and I was grossly overweight. I'd also experienced some brief skirmishes with the law, albeit mainly for minor offences.

Like I said, things were not looking good. Although I'd started practising Kuk Sool and was making considerable progress, I just couldn't make the complete break-through that I desired, I therefore had to make the conscious decision to change. I'd had enough of the same old regime and just couldn't face another night being 'wasted' in my local pub drinking with my mates.

One Friday evening, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and venture out on my own, away from my usual routine. I changed my image by getting rid of my scruffy old jeans and black leather jacket and alternatively putting on some smart attire. I have to say that I always felt comfortable wearing those tatty old clothes, they'd become part of who I was........ basically a person with no hope or ambition.

To me it really felt like I was shedding an outer skin, in fact it was much like having a  complete metamorphous. Through this process I'd developed a new sense of independence and ventured out into a different part of the town. I visited places that I'd never normally go, I met people that I'd never normally meet, I felt totally liberated and free and there was a different energy about me altogether.

I came to realise that if I wanted to create huge change in my life, then I had to take some massive action, which is exactly what I did on that particular evening. Unknowingly to me at the time, that night would turn out to be one of the most significant nights in my entire my life.

I'll look forward in telling you all about in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment