Friday 9 May 2014

Introduction



I’ve been asked many times during my thirty-five years of practicing the martial arts, why exactly did I start? It’s a good question and one that I’ve always found relatively easy to answer. The main reason why I started martial art training was that I wanted to learn how to fight.

On many occasions as a young boy I had been tormented, bullied, and beaten. I’d had lots of arguments and fights, many before the age of sixteen and I was literally fed up just being someone else’s punch bag. I eventually decided that enough was enough and it was time to learn how to fight back.

Almost every weekend, as a teenager growing up in the small town were I lived I would find myself in some kind of trouble. Many of these situations usually revolved around pubs, bars and the local dance halls. 

It was these particular incidents that initially made me seek out martial art training in order to gain protection for myself. Little did I know at the time, when I first entered the martial art training hall (dojang) that those first few steps would literally change my life in many ways that I could never have imagined.

As far as this blog is concerned, my main purpose is to stimulate interest to anyone who has a desire to take up martial arts either as a hobby or pastime. My blog might also appeal to people who are already in the process of studying the martial arts and just want to become better practitioners or instructor's. 

Whatever your line of interest one thing is for sure, anyone considering venturing down  these paths will certainly require all the support they can get. Hopefully I will be able to offer some form of guidance toward the journey which lies ahead.

What you are about to read in this blog is a whole host of experiences and ideas that have come about through my thirty-five years practising and teaching the Traditional Korean Martial Art of Kuk Sool Won. 

In the meantime I wish you well with your own journey. 

Martin Ducker

1 comment:

  1. Great introduction Sir. Can't wait for the next installment.... James SBN

    ReplyDelete